Bihar Agriculture and Animal Husbandry
Bihar is an agricultural state, the life of most of the people in Bihar is dependent on agriculture and animal husbandry.
Agriculture in Bihar
- Bihar is an agriculture based state, this state plays a leading role in food production in India, 85 percent of its population is dependent on agriculture.
- The major food crops grown in the state of Bihar are Paddy, Wheat, Maize, Barley, Jowar, Ragi, Bajra, Mustard, Arhar, Gram, Lentil etc.
- Major cash crops produced in Bihar are sugarcane, mesta, makhana, chilli, tea, jute, tobacco, litchi etc.
- Bihar produces 71% of the total litchi production in India.
- Two roadmaps have been adopted for the development of agriculture in Bihar which are as follows
- Agriculture Road Map – I – This roadmap was started in 2008, which lasted till 31 March 2012, under this many schemes like Beej Gram Yojana, Chief Minister Rapid Seed Extension Program were run.
- Agriculture Roadmap – II – This roadmap was started on 3rd April 2012 which is still working
Ravi and Kharif crops are mainly sown in Bihar.
Kharif Crop – Kharif crop is sown in June-July and it is harvested in November-December. Under the Kharif crop, paddy, maize, jowar, millet, tur etc. are the main crops.
Kharif crops in Bihar can be divided into two parts.
- Bhadai Crop – Under this, such crops come which are ready in less time. Under Bhadai crop, Jowar, Bajra, Paddy, Maize and some oilseeds are cultivated.
- Aghani Crop – This crop is sown in the rainy season and is harvested in November-December, Paddy is the main crop of Aghani.
Rabi Crop – Rabi crop is sown in October-November and gets ready in the month of March-April. Wheat, barley, gram, peas, mustard etc. are cultivated under Rabi crops, these crops mainly depend on irrigation.
Animal Husbandry in Bihar
Animal husbandry is a major occupation for the rural people of Bihar. Here one third of the rural economy is dependent on animal husbandry. In Bihar, mainly cow, buffalo, sheep, goat, pig, poultry and fisheries are done under animal husbandry.